Man's fingerprints 'match those of US fugitive Nicholas Rossi' – BBC

Share Article

By Steven Godden
BBC Scotland

A court has heard fingerprints taken from a man claiming to be a mistaken victim of extradition proceedings show he is US fugitive Nicholas Rossi.
The man appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Thursday using the name Arthur Knight and denied threatening hospital staff two days earlier.
The court heard he had behaved like a "raging" bull and left a doctor "trembling with fear".
The accused man appeared from custody in a wheelchair wearing an oxygen mask.
However, the court was told doctors involved in his care had no concerns for his lungs.
He denied the charges and was remanded in custody to face trial for allegedly shouting, swearing, and pursuing a consultant and senior nurse on a ward at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.
US Prosecutors say the man claiming to be Arthur Knight is a convicted sex offender called Nicholas Rossi – also known as Nicholas Alahverdian.
They claim he fled to the UK and faked his own death in an effort to evade charges including fraud and sexual battery.
A legal case considering an official request to extradite the man to Utah was due to be heard in Edinburgh earlier on Thursday, but was postponed until next week.
Defence lawyer Munawar Ali told the Glasgow hearing his client was pleading not guilty to the threatening behaviour charges, and argued he was a suitable candidate for bail.
Opposing the bail motion, prosecutor Julie Clark said the accused posed "a serious risk of failing to appear at any hearing, a substantial risk of re-offending and a substantial risk of obstructing the course of justice".
She said: "He appears today as Arthur Knight but has previously been identified by medical professionals and civilians as Nicholas Rossi."
"Fingerprints taken when he was arrested for this matter were confirmed to be Nicholas Rossi," she added.
As Ms Clark spoke the man in the dock was heard shouting: "That's not true."
At one point proceedings had to be briefly halted when Mr Knight became agitated after his oxygen appeared to run out.
On the subject of the man's health, Ms Clark told the court the Crown has medical reports from doctors involved in his care which state there is no concern related to his lungs.
"The description of seizures given by those who have witnessed them were satisfied they were otherwise faked," she said.
At one point the accused could be heard saying: "I am not Nicholas Rossi, and the problem here is that the medical records state I have fundamental epilepsy, not fake seizures."
Remanding him in custody, Sheriff Gerald MacMillan told the man: "There is a possibility that you may abscond or fail to appear at a hearing – there is a substantial risk of that."
A cause worth contributing to… Neil McIntosh of Abbey Vets writes for the Tele
Stevenston horse owner wins prize at Royal Highland Show
Helensburgh property: Six bedroom Victorian villa in Shandon within an acre of grounds
Kilwinning Rangers 2016s get new kit boost from Persimmon Homes
Man facing court on drug charges
Mull trio celebrate after winning cafe awards
Sri Lanka president to resign after palace stormed
Protesters swim in Sri Lankan president's pool. Video
Japan police say Shinzo Abe security was flawed
Sri Lanka crowd breaks Rajapaksa grip on power
The race gap between black and white homeowners
Zero Covid holds danger for China's Xi
The daily heartbreak of life in a country gone bankrupt
The lingering scars of South Africa's deadly riots
Who could be the next UK prime minister?
Americans in the crosshairs of China's spy game
Why Euro 2022 stars in small stadiums is a good thing
The Indian man making art from sunlight. Video
The world's weirdest border?
How a railway blurred the line between Belgium and Germany
11 films to watch this July
The month’s most unmissable released include the return of Jordan Peele and Thor
Why modern dating is exhausting
Can online dating burnout be stopped?
© 2022 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking.

source

You might also like

Surviving 2nd wave of corona
COVID-19

Surviving The 2nd Wave of Corona

‘This too shall pass away’ this famous Persian adage seems to be defeating us again and again in the case of COVID-19. Despite every effort

@voguewellness