'Tragic accident': Connecticut high school hockey player dies after on-ice collision – USA TODAY

Share Article

A Connecticut high school hockey player has died after an on-ice collision, officials said.
Thursday’s boys hockey game between St. Luke’s School and Brunswick School in Greenwich, Connecticut, was stopped after a player sustained an injury on ice, Greenwich Police Capt. Mark Zuccerella said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports. 
“During the normal course of the game, a player from the other team fell to the ice,” Zuccerella said. “Another player who was near the downed player was unable to stop, and collided with the player who fell.”
The student was rushed to Greenwich Hospital, but “died as a result of the injury,” Zuccerella said. 
The New Canaan Police Department identified the student athlete as Teddy Balkind, a 10th grader at St. Luke’s School.
“Teddy skated for the New Canaan Winter Club throughout his youth hockey career and was known to all as an all around incredible young man, son and brother,” the police department said in an Instagram statement Friday that included a poem titled, “To An Athlete Dying Young.”
St. Luke’s Head of School Mark Davis called the collision a “tragic accident.” The school, which has 592 students in New Canaan, Connecticut, closed all classes and after-school activities on Friday.
“Our community is mourning. Yesterday, we lost a precious young man,” Davis said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports. “Both St. Luke’s School and Brunswick School are in shock as we work to support our students and families. St. Luke’s singular focus at this moment is to care for our devastated community.”
Brunswick’s Head of School Thomas Philip said his community is “saddened beyond words.” 
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the boy, the players and coaches on both teams, the entirety of the St Luke’s School community, and our own students and families,” Philip said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports. “Tragedies such as this are hard to process and impossible to understand. We will do all we can in the coming days and weeks to help and support those in our community and in the St Luke’s community. We ask that everyone say a prayer for the boy, his family, and all those impacted by this horrible accident.”
On Twitter Friday, the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference extended its “heartfelt condolences to the family of the St. Luke’s hockey player and the St. Luke’s community for their tragic loss.”
Contact Cydney Henderson on Twitter at @CydHenderson


You might also like

Surviving 2nd wave of corona

Surviving The 2nd Wave of Corona

‘This too shall pass away’ this famous Persian adage seems to be defeating us again and again in the case of COVID-19. Despite every effort