Corrections and clarifications: In a previous version of this story, the number of bars in the U.S. named in the best bars list was incorrect. The list names eight U.S. bars on The World’s 50 Best Bars list.
A dramatic, dimly lit haunt in Barcelona nabbed the top spot for the world’s best bar of 2022, based on a new ranking of the top 50 bars across the globe.
The top prize this year went to Paradiso in Barcelona, according to The World’s 50 Best Bars, an annual list that celebrates the best of the international drinks industry. First published in 2009, it provides an annual ranking of bars as voted for by 650 drinks experts from across the globe.
Located in Barcelona’s El Born district, the speakeasy offers imaginative cocktails and bar bites. The bar, boasts of offering “a universe of temptations” with a “surprising, almost otherworldly setting, a space where you do not need to imagine, the unimaginable is real, a place for enjoyment without a thought.”
The ins and outs of sake:What the Japanese alcoholic beverage is and how it’s made.
Pizza:See the top 50 pizzerias in the US, as ranked by Italian pizza experts: NYC leads with 9
This year’s edition of The World’s 50 Best Bars was unveiled in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain on Tuesday at an in-person awards ceremony.
Second place went to Tayēr + Elementary in London, for the second year running and Sips, also in Barcelona, took third place.
The U.S. trumped the list with eight wins, with New York taking six spots in 2022. Florida and Illinois were the only other state to make the list where Cafe La Trova in Miami netted 21st place and Kumiko in Chicago pulling No, 25.
London was the city with the second most number of winning bars (five), followed by Mexico City with four and Barcelona with three.
Other special awards include the Ketel One Sustainable Bar Award (Little Red Door in Paris) and the Altos Bartenders Bartender Award (Colombian owner and founder of Alquímico, Jean Trinh).
Vandalism at the Vatican:American tourist demands to see pope, smashes two sculptures at Vatican
50. Bulgari Bar, Dubai, UAE
49. Lucy’s Flower Shop, Stockholm, Sweden
48. Bar Benfiddich, Tokyo
47. Employees Only, New York, USA
46. L’antiquario, Naples, Italy
45. Galaxy Bar, Dubai, UAE
44. Carnaval, Lima, Peru
43. HIMKOK, Oslo, Norway
42. CoChinChina, Buenos Aires
41. Cantina OK!, Sydney, Australia
40. Red Frog, Lisbon, Portugal
39. Locale Firenze, Florence
38. Zuma, Dubai, UAE
37. A Bar With Shapes for A Name, London
36. Dante, New York, USA
35. 1930, Milan, Italy
34. Overstory, New York, USA
33. Manhattan, Singapore
32. Baltra Bar, Mexico City
31. Line, Athens, Greece
30. Swift, London
29. Maybe Sammy, Sydney, Australia
28. Argo, Hong Kong
27. Tres Monos, Buenos Aires, Argentina
26. Sidecar, New Delhi, India
25. Kumiko, Chicago, USA
24. Tropic City, Bangkok, Thailand
23. Satan’s Whiskers, London
22. Attaboy, New York, USA
21. Cafe La Trova, Florida, USA
20. Baba Au Rum, Athens, Greece
19. The Clumsies, Athens, Greece
18. Floreria Atlantico, Buenos Aires, Argentina
17. Coa, Hong Kong
16. Drink Kong, Rome, Italy
15. Salmon Guru, Madrid, Spain
14. BKK Social Club, Bangkok, Thailand
13. Hanky Panky, Mexico City
12. Jigger & Pony, Singapore
11. Handshake Speakeasy, Mexico City
10. Alquímico, Cartagena, Colombia
9. Katana Kitten, New York, USA
8. The Connaught Bar, London
7. Two Schmucks, Barcelona, Spain
6. Double Chicken Please, New York, USA
5. Little Red Door, Paris, France
4. Licorería Limantour, Mexico
3. Sips, Barcelona, Spain
2. Tayēr + Elementary, London
1. Paradiso, Barcelona, Spain
The World’s 50 Best Bars list is owned and organized by William Reed, the group behind The World’s 50 Best Restaurants.
Natalie Neysa Alund covers trending news for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @nataliealund.
‘This too shall pass away’ this famous Persian adage seems to be defeating us again and again in the case of COVID-19. Despite every effort